Located in Berkshire, England, Bracknell is the westernmost area of the Greater London Urban Area and the administrative centre of the Borough of Bracknell Forest. A round trip from Reading is about 11 miles (18 km), from Maidenhead about 9 miles (14 km), from Windsor about 10 miles (16 km) and from central London about 25 miles (40 km).

History of Bracknell

Originally recorded in a Winkfield Boundary Charter of AD 942 as Braccan heal, Bracknell may mean “Nook of land owned by a man called Bracca” in Old English

There is still a school in the town by that name, which is derived from a form of Brakenhale. Easthampstead town covers all of Easthampstead (but not the whole parish) and Ramslade hamlet.

The Bronze Age round barrow at Bill Hill dates back to the Bronze Age. During the time of Catherine of Aragon‘s divorce, Easthampstead Park served as a favoured royal hunting lodge in Windsor Forest. Alexander Pope, a resident of Binfield, patronized the Trumbulls who owned the property.

Caesar’s Camp is located just across the border at Crowthorne. The Quelm Stone is located in the town’s northeast, and the Standing Stone at Quelm is located in the west.

The Old Manor is among the oldest buildings in the town, a 17th-century brick manor house with a number of priest holes. It is said that Dick Turpin used to drink at the ‘Hind’s Head’ coaching inn next door. Highwayman may have been able to escape the authorities via tunnels once connected to the two. Another old pub, the Red Lion, dates from before the 18th century, as do the Bull and The Lion.

There is an old parish church called St Michael and St Mary Magdalene in Easthampstead that is the oldest place of worship in the town. In Saxon times there was a church there, but the current structure dates from the mid-19th century, minus the lower portions of its Tudor tower. In the town centre is the 1851 Holy Trinity Church.